Saturday, September 20, 2008

A healthy drink to think about !

Many years ago , I would prepare this healthy drink to lower my cholesterol level when I had taken too much prawns for the week . This drink is well known to most Chinese. After a while, I too have forgotten about this healthy drink until a friend reminded me last Tuesday at the dinner table in Nilai. It's good to take it regularly to see whether our cholesterol level really plunges down!

The ingredients are black fungus( called 'Mok Yee' in Chinese ), red dates together with the seeds, a small slice of ginger(optional) and dried longans to give it a more pleasant taste.No added sugar is suggested . All these are boiled together with a pot of water until one portion of water remains from the initial three portions.It probably takes about 3 hours of boiling.To make the drink , we use the same amount of each of these three ingredients . The drink is more pleasant if more longans are added.

I set off to buy the ingredients this morning and I started to boil it on a Saturday afternoon . The black fungus costs Rm1.80 for 100g , the red dates RM1.50/100g and dried longans at RM4.80/100g I ended buying 300g of each and I would see how many times I could make the drink. So lets see the effect after two months!

2 comments:

lucia said...

Hi Mei Ling,
Thanks for the health tip. Wll try it one of these days.My normal is just barley drinks every saturday and herbal soup once a week for the whole family.

Take care and happy holidays.
Lucia

Peter said...

Hi Elaine,

Can you give us- your readers- an update on your cholesterol levels now since it has been around 5 to 6 months since you tried the drink again?

I heard a very similar method, but using the "gomu" or japanese seaweed. This did not require boiling, but merely placing hot water over 3 small pieces of dried japanese seaweed ( 1x2 inches )to make a tea drink. Refill with hot water as second and third helpings, drinking it throughout the day. I heard the chief monk in a temple in Taiping followed this method and was surprised to find his cholesterol level completely within normal ranges and blood pressure returned to normal after taking this seaweed tea for a couple of months.

So how did your mok yee drink went?
Thanks!