Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Is it our Ringgit or the scarcity ?

Price hike of a number of food items goes on everyday. I used to buy seven Kiwifruits for RM10 and just last week, the vendor told me that I have to buy them at RM2 each. Looking at a glance, almost everything is pricey nowadays !

Today, I had another encounter and this incident really made me wonder why. I always yearn for minced meat mixed with some fried salt fish meat or chicken steamed with salt fish meat for a home cooked meal. I saw a stall selling cut salt fish slices in the market and this attracted me to go nearer to have a look. This look led me to buy a piece after the vendor had confirmed that it is the Kuantan salt fish. To my surprise, this tiny slice is costing me RM14 !

I ponder whether our Ringgit buying power has shrunk? Or has the catch become so scarce due to water pollution ? The once poor man's food is only available to the rich of today ! Of course, the not- so- rich can make do with smaller portions to enhance the taste of food and yet feeling health conscious ! Anyway, it has always been said that we must always eat moderate portion of any food and even the safest food will have its harmful effect if consumed too excessive !

No comments: